May 21, 2009

What if?

today on father's day I wonder how it would be like if you'd still be here.
you know, the perfect day.

We'd go outdoors, like the other fathers and sons.
We'd drink beer together, like the other fathers and sons.
We'd compete together against the other fathers and sons.
We'd win the trophy, making the other fathers and sons jealous.

You'd buy me ice cream, like you used to do. Except this time, I'd pay for yours.
You'd probably want to go kajaking, but I'm sorry, Dad. We sold the kajak after you had to go. There was no use for it anymore.

What if you'd be here and we could spend the day talking and you'd teach me things like why the sky is blue.

But all I can do is to visit you on days like today. Looking at you. Laying flowers at your feet.
For a brief moment we are together. We are finally together.

Almost like other fathers and sons.

2 comments:

CheekySpook said...

Hugs Nic

Planetx_123 said...

I don't know the circumstances of how your father passed away, but this writing really hits home with me. My dad died unexpectedly of a heart attack two years ago. Every fathers day I feel the same sentiment expressed by this thoughtful writing. Hugs.

Steve