Nov 15, 2008

moodswings

Imagine this: I get up at 9ish on a saturday morning like this. It's way too early for a saturday. But I went to bed on friday night at 10pm. I slept for like 11 hours I guess.
I went to the bathroom and when I passed the kitchen I saw a breakfast table with only a few items on it.
Two plates, two coffee mugs, two butterknives and the electronic water heater.
I wondered why there is stuff for only two people. I guess my mom didn't expect me to get up early so the table was set for only her and my sister.

Since both of them were in their rooms preparing to get dressed and have their morning-"oooh-I-need-to-put-on-make-up-or-I-won't-be-pretty"-routine I got another plate and a butter knive and a coffee mug and put it on the table so they would understand that there is another person who wants to have breakfast with them as well.

I stood there for a moment and looked at a kind of colorless and loveless morning table on a rainy, cloud-filled dark saturday morning. It wasn't a pretty sight. So I decided to change it.

I put out the bee-shaped-happy-cartoon-placemats and put them under the plates. I opened the fridge and got butter, LÄTTA (a german margarine like product with yoghurt in it... it's delicious), strawberry jam, cherry jam, milk, strawberry syrup, cheese, another kind of cheese (called brunch), ham, some other kind of wurst and two tomatoes.

I opened every package and every jar and placed them nicely around the table.
I got a big plate and designed it with the ham and the wurst and I sliced the tomatoes and surounded the plate with them.

I took several kind of bread, some bread rolls (german brötchen) and put them in the oven to rebake them for about five minutes to get them hot and ready for the great bread smell in the morning.
I switched on the electric water heater and I actually made some tea. I mean the real tea with the tea leafs and putting them in a jar and adding boiled water and letting it simmer for 5 minutes.
So when I was done the picture was perfect. THIS was a morning table I loved to look at.
It had LOVE written all over it. I wanted to surprise my family. For once I would be "the provider" of the family...

I went to mom's room to call her and tell her that breakfast is ready... she didn't know what I had prepared and was asking me to switch on the coffee machine. I told her that I 'll do that when she's finally done with her morning routine and is ready to join me.
Then I went to my sisters room, the door was closed so I knocked and still not going in I said: "Good mooooor-niiiiiiing, breakfast is ready". Of course she didn't expect me to say that because I hate her guts lately and we hardly spoke for over a month now. I actually had a big fight with her two days before her 18th birthday and I didn't wish her a happy birthday, didn't give her a present and didn't attend her big birthday party in our house. So it came to her as a surprise that I was actually nice to her.

I use the word ACTUALLY a lot.

whatever... well... she replied with "fuck off". This was what I expected so I wasn't hurt at all.
I went back to the kitchen and sat down and was waiting for them to come.
I was waiting for about 10 more minutes when my sister aka theEVILone aka SATAN aka Bitchy the bitch came into the kitchen standing there with a wide open mouth, frozen and glued to the floor for what seemed like forever.
She looked at the table, turned around and ran to mom to get her.
They came in and sat at the table and didn't say a single word.
"Pass the sugar, please"
I was like... "Aren't you gonna say anything?"

Then they burst out laughing and mom gave me a kiss on my forehead and said that I did a great job... BUT... and this is when my mood switched like immediately.
Mom had no appetite at all, she drank her tea and told me she has to go to lunch with a client so she can't have a big breakfast at all.
My sister also just drank her tea and got up the minute her cellphone rang and said bye to my mom. Apperantly her boyfriends sister is getting married today and she was waiting for him to arrive. I was already wondering why she was dressed nicely anyway.

Mom said "Sorry sweety.. I gotta go, could you please put these back into the fridge?" and then she got up and put on her jacket while taking another sip of her tea.

I was really really disappointed, even worse I think I was pissed... but I guess that's what you get when you don't communicate with your family.

What a way to start a weekend. At least before she left, she took a picture with her cell of me sitting at a rich filled table full of love.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

oh that was so sweet of you. :)

Anonymous said...

I had tears, reading this. so hey atleast she took a picture.

I have commented on each one of your post

naturgesetz said...

That sounds like a beautiful German breakfast.

Even if your mom didn't eat it, taking a picture sows she appreciated it.

torchy! said...

awww. that is really sweet :)

i've read this in isolation, so i don't know, but i'm guessing this broke the frosty relationship with your sis.

i can feel the love coming through the months.

hope your mum expressed her appreciation later.

torchy!

MartininBroda said...

This was really nice to read, you shouldn't have felt disappointed, it's your intention that counts.