Apr 1, 2009

Stupid feelings

Watching a movie should be something to enjoy. It should entertain you and make you smile. Make you feel good. Make you laugh.
But once in while, even when you least expect it, a movie gets to you. It shows you something, It teaches you. And also, It touches you.

I was watching this movie called Marley & Me. It was supposed to be a funny, feel good movie. The movie trailor showed funny moments.
But what it turned out to be was getting under my skin and made me think.

I never had a dog in my life. I always wanted one, but we moved a lot. I was told I get one as soon as we buy a house and settle down. I was told that dogs need a backyard and not an appartment.
Even when we got a house with a fairly big backyard about 4 years ago when we moved to Germany my mom didn't buy me a dog. So I may be a bit sensitive about that subject anyway.

The movie Marley & Me is telling about a family and how it starts with husband and wife and how they aren't ready to have children yet, so they get a dog.
The dog misbehaves in sooo many creative ways. Like he eats an answering machine...
not chewing on it... no... eating and digesting it.

This is the story of a "bad" dog becoming a member of a family and seeing how 3 children are born and growing older. He grows to have his place in the family.

Of course the dog can't live on forever. But the way they treated him and how they said their goodbyes and how the family cried and the father put him to sleep got to me. I was in tears for about 15 minutes of the movie. It was so sad seeing how the little girl gave him her stuffed animal with the words "you can have Dolly but don't chew her other ear off"
Or the oldest son knowing that the dog is not gonna return from the vet so he hugged him and cried and said goodbye.

It was so sad how the father talked to the dog before he asked the vet to put him to sleep. How he told him that all the years he was a good dog, a great dog.
And it was so sad seeing how the dog finally closed his eyes.

And the last scene was so sad that I almost started to sob instead of just tears running down.
It was when they were buriing him in their backyard and everyone put something in the grave. The mom put in a necklace that she got from her husband when they were about to start a family 8 years ago. That necklace was very expensive and the dog ate it back then and they had to hose down dogpoo to finally find it again.

All in all it was a sad sad movie and at the end it was almost unbarable to watch.

Why am I such a wuss? Why does a stupid movie bring me to tears to an extent that I am almost ashamed of admiting that I cried about it.

Feelings are stupid.

I wish I was someone with the ability to switch them off. I'm unfortunately not.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thank god you are not :) I love you just the way you are, with your strong feelings.